Neck Rotation – Exercise For Improving Your Neck Tightness
Neck rotations help relieve tightness in the sides and back of your neck. It’s the ultimate exercise that can be done anywhere, anytime. Especially people with desk jobs can easily perform this exercise on their desks.
Equipment: No equipment
Level: Beginners to advanced
Works on muscles: Upper trapezius, Scalenes, Splenius cervicis
O’Coach Free Tip
- Do not turn your head completely to either side
- Keep chin level with the ground without letting the chin drop to the chest
Steps to perform Neck Rotations correctly:
Gently rotate your head anticlockwise
Tip: Feel the stretch around the neck
Slowly bring your head back to the middle and rotate in the other direction
Tip: Hold this position for up to 30 seconds
Repeat this motion on both sides
Tip: Do each side 2–4 times
Benefits of Neck rotations:
Neck Rotation helps to increase the range of motion through your shoulder as it stretches the muscles on the sides of your neck. Daily neck stretches and exercises are also recommended to improve posture and reduce the risk of neck pain from returning or becoming worse.
Here are some more benefits of Neck Rotation:
- Reduce neck pain
- Improve flexibility
- Reduce tension and stress
- Increase mobility in your neck
- Improves blood circulation in your neck
- Prevent neck and cervical spine injuries
- Reduce tightness in the sides and back of your neck
General cause of neck pain and tightness:
- Poor sitting posture.
- Sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Computer screens are not at eye level.
- Bad sleeping position.
Prevent your neck stiffness:
- Try to make your back straight while sitting
- Arrange your computer position correctly
- Improve your sleeping position
- After every hour of seated work, get up to walk around or do basic and light exercises for at least 2-5 minutes
Doing neck rotations can help you to regain your mobility and a full range of motion. Add 2-5 mins neck rotation to your routine you’ll be more comfortable when you sit or stand for extended periods. It’s crucial to give your neck some stretches and exercises to enhance the range of motion and improve flexibility, especially if your profession demands you to sit for long periods of time.
Add 2 mins! Neck Rotation to your routine with O’Coach app:
Incorporate a 2- 5 mins Neck Rotation into your daily routine with the O’Coach app. To add this workout to your daily routine, you can create your own custom workout routine as per your needs or preferences or simply download the exercise.