Workplace Wellness: Why Exercise Should Be a Priority
In today’s fast-paced world, it can be challenging to balance workplace and personal wellness. But do you know that regular physical activity is not only good for your body but also your mind? So for a healthy and productive mind, it’s important to add 2-5 mins of workout into your daily routine. Exercise has been shown to reduce stress, increase productivity, and improve overall well-being.
The average person spends more time working than any other daily activity and, over a lifetime, spends an average of 90,000 hours on the job.
Therefore it’s time to prioritize exercise as a crucial part of a healthy workplace balance. In this blog, we’ll explore why exercise should be prioritized in the workplace and provide tips on how to incorporate 2-5 mins of physical activity into your daily routine.
So, let’s get started!
Negative effects of a sedentary lifestyle:
The modern workplace is often associated with prolonged sitting at a desk, staring at a computer screen in a slouched position. It’s easy to get lost in the demands of work and forget about our health. But the truth is, physical activity is essential for our overall well-being. Studies show that a sedentary lifestyle can lead to a range of health issues. Additionally, prolonged sitting can cause discomfort, fatigue, and other health issues, including:
- Forward head posture.
- Rounded C-shaped shoulders.
- A hunched back.
- Mental health problems.
- Neck and eye strain.
- Depression and Anxiety.
- Heart Disease.
Benefits of prioritizing exercise:
To counteract the negative effects of a sedentary lifestyle it’s important to incorporate exercise into our daily routine, even at the workplace. Incorporating exercise into the workday can help to counteract these health issues and helps to maintain a healthy workplace. Regular exercise has also been shown to:
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Enhance mood
- Increase productivity
- Job satisfaction
By prioritizing exercise at work, you can improve your overall health and well-being while still being productive at work. It’s a win-win situation!
Why Prioritizing Exercise in the Workplace is a Smart Business Move?
Many companies are implementing wellness programs to encourage employees to prioritize their health and well-being. According to research, people who exercise regularly are often more productive at work and take fewer sick days. Encouraging employees to take 2-5 mins workout breaks every few hours throughout the day to stretch, walk, or engage in other physical activities can help mitigate health risks and improve overall health. Prioritizing well-being and physical activity can actually save companies money in the long run and promotes healthy workplace. By:
- Improving productivity
- Reducing healthcare costs
- Reducing employee absenteeism
- Create a more engaged workforce
- Satisfied workforce
- Improve workplace culture
- Creating a positive and healthy work environment
Therefore, it is important to give priority to exercise especially during office hours.
Barriers to incorporating exercise in the workplace
In the workplace, there are many barriers that can prevent employees from incorporating exercise into their daily routines. Here are some of the most common barriers:
1. Time constraints: There are many working professionals who find it challenging to prioritize exercise in their busy schedules. For them, it’s hard to include 2 mins workout in their schedule during their office time because of their multiple deadlines, or other obligations that prevent them from taking a break to work out.
2. Lack of motivation: For some employees, the biggest challenge to exercising at work is a lack of motivation.
3. Lack of support: Some employees don’t like to work out alone, they need someone by their side to work out. This is the most common barrier to exercising and creating workplace wellness.
4. Lack of knowledge: Some employees may not know how to exercise effectively, or may not be aware of the benefits of regular exercise. They may need guidance and support to develop a fitness routine.
How to incorporate 2-5 mins workout into your routine?
Incorporating a 2-5 minute workout into your daily routine can have a significant impact on your overall health and well-being, you’ll feel more energized, focused, and productive. To create wellness in the workplace and maintain a healthy workplace it is best to add incorporate physical activity with O’Coach app. This is because the app offers a variety of quick and effective workouts that can be done anywhere, including in the office.
Create your 2-5 mins of custom workout with O’Coach app:
Use the O’Coach app to create your workouts easier than ever. With O’Coach, you can take charge of your health and fitness, even when you’re at work. O’Coach allows users to create personalized workout routines based on their individual preferences and needs. Whether it’s yoga, strength training, cardio, or HIIT.
Create your customized workout to fit your schedule and fitness level. And share your workout routine with the rest of the world, providing motivation and support along the way.
So what are you waiting for? Download O’Coach today and start transforming your workplace into a healthy, active environment.
Here are some simple steps you can take to get started:
1. Set realistic goals: Don’t try to do too much too soon. Start with a 2-5 minute custom workout and gradually increase the time and intensity as you get stronger.
2. Choose the right time and schedule a workout: Find a time that works best for you, such as in the morning before work or during your lunch break. And schedule your workout into your daily routine. This will help make it a habit and easier to stick to.
3. Track your progress: Try to track your progress from time to time within the app to keep a check on your progress.
4. Make it fun: Choose workouts that you enjoy and share them with your friends to keep them interesting. You can even invite colleagues to join you for a quick workout break, making it a fun and social activity.
5. Create your private community: Create your personal workplace community and track each other progress there. This is the best way to stay motivated.